Re: SOAP Message Canonicalization

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:19:17 -0500
To: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Cc: dee3@torque.pothole.com, marc.hadley@sun.com, mgudgin@microsoft.com, w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org, w3c-xml-protocol-wg@w3.org

Joseph Reagle wrote:

>> But, if I understand correctly, you don't want
>> to require schema validation?

Correct.  SOAP does not ever depend on schema validation, though
applications of SOAP may choose to validate.  SOAP does in certain places
describe the semantics of a message without attribute "A" as being the
same as a similar message with some particular explicit value for
attribute A.  This equivalence is NOT normatively explained as resulting
from defaulting by a schema.

>> (Otherwise, SchemaCentic c14n might be worth
>> consideration?
>>   http://www.uddi.org/pubs/SchemaCentricCanonicalization-20020710.htm
>> )

I think not, for the reason stated above.  The equivalence classes for
SOAP messages are not in general defined by schema.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142