Re: SOAP Message Canonicalization

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:36:00 -0500
To: Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
CC: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>, dee3@torque.pothole.com, w3c-xml-protocol-wg@w3.org, Martin Gudgin <mgudgin@microsoft.com>, w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org

> A fair point, though assuming a vendor has already implemented the
> transform and exclusive c14n then implementing the combination should be
> pretty straightforward.

Sure, but if a vendor doesn't do transforms (or doesn't do them easily),
then having a transform version requires them to do something like
canonicalize and hash the transform to see if it's something they can
short-circuit.  That can be expensive.  Far easier to just do string
compare and call your "fast xslt" if you're that kind of vendor.

My meta-point is that having two ways of doing the same thing is bad,
and that uri->xslt is simpler and safe for folks that work that way,
rather than xslt->code-implementing-the-uri.
	/r$