Alternative XPath Filter

From: Christian Geuer-Pollmann <geuer-pollmann@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 21:06:09 +0100
To: John Boyer <jboyer@PureEdge.com>, Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
Hi John,

I have a question about the "XML-Signature XPath Filter 2.0" [1]:

Is it possible to apply two xmldsig-xpath-filter transforms after each
other? Two with Filter="exclude" wont make sense because they operate on
the full document so that the results from the first transform would be
discarded by the second one. But maybe it's possible to make an exclude and
than an include?

Motivation for this question: Assume I have a SOAP msg, inside the body is
a transaction and _inside_ the transaction, there's somewhere nested the
signature. I want to sign the body without the signature. This means that I

1: exclude all things outside the body
2: include the body
3: exlude the signature in the body

Let's bridge to the transform which I suggested in [2]: Using my transform,
I would

exclude-but-search    /
include               /SOAP:Envelope/SOAP:Body
exclude               /SOAP:Envelope/SOAP:Body/x:Transact/ds:Signature

Is it clear why I need _three_ flags and use this inside a single transform
step?

Regards,
Christian

[1] http://www.w3.org/Signature/Drafts/xmldsig-xpath