Re: History: Question on C14N list of nodes instead of subtrees

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 12:23:30 -0500
To: "John Boyer" <JBoyer@PureEdge.com>, "merlin" <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Cc: <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
On Thursday 31 January 2002 17:47, John Boyer wrote:
> In some ways your results are a bit of a relief in that the performance
> profiles are clearly not the result of O(n log n) processes.  At least
> part of the problem sounds like the XPath implementation (or some way it
> is being used) is suboptimal.

I've done a little digging on this. I've attached some excerpted results
from the datapower XSLTMark tests [1]. I'm not sure how much it tells us
other than there's a large difference in performance between the
implementations. (And the one I sometimes play with is about 400 times
slower then the best! <grin/>) We don't get to see a break down for the
given expressions. (In fact, XPath is just a line item amongst lots of XSLT
operations. I've attached their test file and test XPath selections so as
you can see it's very limited.) Also, I noted  a paper on Sequential XPath
[2] and wonder how its support for subtree selection/omission would perform
-- if implemented...?

[1] http://www.datapower.com/XSLTMark/
[2] http://www.idealliance.org/papers/xml2001/papers/html/05-01-01.html