RE: History: Question on C14N list of nodes instead of subtrees

hi,

yes you are right. the '.' should rather be a "here()". i have to rvise
my XPointer code.

> > i think i could live without this omission filters, because
> i cannot
> > imagine a reasonable other use-case for them. who needs a
> filter like
> > "just sign all attributes which's name is ..."?
>
> The motivating scenario was of signing a form whereby I want
> to sign the
> whole form except a few of the fields where the recipient
> might enter their
> own information. This isn't easily accomplished via subtrees.

i agree that the filter mechanism as it is is very flexible.

> > the signature is never part of the signed document. consequently, i
> > structure my documents that this is really the case. this
> means, the
> > signature is never the descendant of any of its signed
> elements. in my
> > use-case the signature is a sibling of the signed content, if it is
> > inside the same document. and if the signature is detached,
> there is
> > no problem anyway. putting all singed data into the Object
> element of
> > a signature and then signing the complete document excluding the
> > signature itself, is "not a nice design" putting it mildly.
>
> Ok, thank you! Understanding folks deployment scenarios is
> very useful.

regards

  Karl Scheibelhofer

--

Karl Scheibelhofer, <mailto:Karl.Scheibelhofer@iaik.at>
Institute for Applied Information Processing and Communications (IAIK)