RE: History: Question on C14N list of nodes instead of subtrees

From: John Boyer <JBoyer@PureEdge.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:22:57 -0800
To: <reagle@w3.org>, "merlin" <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Cc: <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
To be fair c14n did go to REC and while xmldsig didn't because of
bi-institutional process lag it garnered at least 12 implementations in
that time! XPtr still isn't a REC and I think has ~1 complete
implementation. (I was looking into XPtr *because* there's still some
contention about its status and advancement so I think we made the right

I understand this aspect but I'm wondering (in a muddled way) why "the
result of the XPath expression id("E") is a node-set containing only the

node corresponding to the element with an ID attribute value of "E".
one do the same with a nodelist as a list of  subtrees (if necessary)
each subtree corresponded to an "orphan node" subtree resulting from the

expression, otherwise the subtree is the subtree resulting from the
filtering and there's parent-child contiguity? (I'm not saying I like
or that's it better just clearing some cobwebs from the attic now that
thinking about XPtr not being widely implemented and (independently)
XPath2.0 (which is base on Infoset...))

<jb>This would eliminate the ability to exclude portions of each

On a complete separate note, Donald recently proposed the use of the

(id("foo")//. | id("foo")//@* | id("foo")//namespace::* )

for those situations when one has an id attribute that identifies a
subtree (which also implies a validating processor).  I would think this
expression would be a fair bit faster (if the application context
allowed identification of a desired subtree by an id attribute).

John Boyer
PureEdge Solutions Inc.