Re: Encoding of Strings in DNames (X509IssuerSerial, X509SubjectName)

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:09:43 -0500
To: "Gregor Karlinger" <gregor.karlinger@iaik.at>
Cc: "XMLSigWG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>, "Martin Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>, <merlin@baltimore.ie>, <bal@microsoft.com>, "Eastlake <Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com>" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
On Friday 18 January 2002 08:30, Gregor Karlinger wrote:
> This sounds fine. In the text "at the end of this section" it should be
> stated, that DName encoding for XMLDSIG is similar to RFC 2253; the only
> difference is the encoding of strings in a DName (encoding of RDF
> sequence and AVA sequences is done as stated in RFC 2253).

Gregor, the editorial aspect has been done in:
 [
  http://www.w3.org/Signature/Drafts/xmldsig-core/
  $Revision: 1.149 $ on $Date: 2002/01/18 18:59:56 $
]

However, it didn't make it into the latest ietf-draft Don sent in. I expect
we'll still be able to squeeze that bit in before the RFC is published. As
to the semi-substantive issue (tweaks to the control characters and
omission of the trailing white space and "physical representation") I
won't make a change unless the folks active on this thread last time around
(such as Merlin and Brian) also advocate for the change in time for us to
accommodate it -- which I can't make any guarantees for since we are trying
to have this published soon.