Re: exc c14n bugs

From: merlin <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 17:42:56 +0100
To: "John Boyer" <JBoyer@pureedge.com>
Cc: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org

Sure: exc-c14n[1] does not render a namespace node if the
nearest output ancestor of its parent element *that visibly
utilizes the namespace prefix* has a namespace node in the
node-set with the same namespace prefix and value as N.

The b:B element does not visibly use the default namespace
prefix, so the exc-c14n specification does not expect that it
will have rendered a value for it. Hence, when the spec
renders C, it looks to A, sees the same definition and
suppresses the namespace node.

This is only an issue because xmlns="" isn't in the node set,
so has special-case handling in c14n. We need corresponding
special-case handling in exc-c14n.

Merlin

[1] http://www.w3.org/Signature/Drafts/xml-exc-c14n.html

r/JBoyer@pureedge.com/2002.06.04/09:19:38