Re: [XPath Filter 2.0] Problem with Transform model

Hi Gregor,

--On Sonntag, 26. Mai 2002 14:31 +0200 Gregor Karlinger
<gregor.karlinger@iaik.at> wrote:

> after I implemented the current spec of XPath Filter 2.0[1], I
> started to play around with some akward combinations of input
> node set (I) and expanded evaluated XPath expression (S) and
>  came across the following problem:
>
> If the transform implementation receives an empty input node set
> as its input paramter, there is no way to get access to the
> input document. But this is necessary because the context
> node for the XPath transform has to be initialized with the
> root node of the input document (according to section 3.3
> of [1]).

Absolutely right. If you don't have at least one node which works as an
"anchor" into the to-be-signed document, you can't proceed (well, it'd be
possible to create nasty hacks which do not only pass the node set
information to the transform but also the owner document).

> A possible solution for this problem could be to explicitely
> forbid an emtpy input for the XPath Filter 2.0 transform. Any
> thought?

For me, +1. That'd be a good addition/clarification to the spec. Empty node
sets should be an error.

Regards,
Christian