RE: here() context and comment nodes

From: John Boyer <JBoyer@PureEdge.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 10:37:50 -0700
To: "Christian Geuer-Pollmann" <geuer-pollmann@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>, "merlin" <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Cc: <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>

The expectation of comment infestation in the XPath element content was
the biggest reason why we defined here() to return the element node
parent when it didn't appear in an attribute.  Here's the one that
originally shook my boots, so to speak:

he<!-- Yikes -->re()/blah/blah/blah

This is legal XML, so it has to be supported.  In general, take the
'string' corresponding to the Xpath element content, which concatenates
all text nodes descendants.

John Boyer