Re: Clarification on 4.3.3.2 and 4.3.3.3

From: Christian Geuer-Pollmann <geuer-pollmann@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:57:42 +0200
To: Takuya Mori <tk-mori@isd.nec.co.jp>, w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
Hi Takuya

--On Mittwoch, 10. Oktober 2001 16:02 +0900 Takuya Mori
<tk-mori@isd.nec.co.jp> wrote:

> 3. Without any DTD/Schema definitions, how an XML Signature
>    Appilcation does identify a node via barename XPointers
>    or an id() function contained in XPointer expressions
>    in dereferencing Same-Document URI-References?

You're right: If you do not have a DTD or Schema, the Parser cannot
identify Attributes of Type ID. What I did in my application [1] is that I
can select Id attributes in elements from XML Signature space, because even
without Schema, you know that an "Id" Attribute in an Element from
Signature namespace _is_ of type ID, so you can catch them. If the user
tries to identify IDs from other elements, my software does not catch them
without tricks, but if the user helps me (uses my
registerElementById(Element element, String idValue)), the parser can even
find these elements.

Christian

[1]
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-security/src/org/apache/xml/security/
utils/IdResolver.java?rev=1.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup