Processing model for ds:Reference/@Type

From: Christian Geuer-Pollmann <geuer-pollmann@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 19:12:45 +0200
To: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
Hi all,

The Type attribute of a ds:Reference can contain the Type of a Reference
like

Type="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#Object"

or

Type="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#Manifest"

. Does there exist a proposed processing model how verification is done on
that? From what I see,  there exist two different ways:

1: I ignore this type information and do only core validation:
SignatureValue and the SignedInfo

2: I try to follow and verify all nested Manifests (if Type="&ds;Manifest").

But what processing should happen if the Type is #Reference or #Object?

Christian