Encoding whitespace in DNAME (Was: W3C Proposed Recommendation:)

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 15:07:16 -0400
To: "Gregor Karlinger" <gregor.karlinger@iaik.at>, "merlin" <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Cc: "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Merlin proposed:
> > Is it intended that space be considered an ASCII control character; if
> > not, I'd suggest the text "\00-\1f inclusive".

Merlin has suggested that the white space not be escaped when encoded in a
DNAME, and provides some tweaks to effect that change. Gregor responded
that those tweaks were the reasons he escaped it in the first place. Merlin
argued that the tweaks aren't that much trouble, they make the encoded text
more human readable, and conforms to earlier examples -- which I think were
the basis of the earlier conformance tests?

Consequently, I'd argue we should adopt the "\00-\1f inclusive" text unless
I misunderstand the course of the argument or others want to argue against
it.