Re: Same-document reference

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:43:52 -0400
To: Christian Geuer-Pollmann <geuer-pollmann@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>, w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
On Monday 27 August 2001 08:15, Christian Geuer-Pollmann wrote:
> just for clarification of what a same-document-Reference is: If I verify a
> ds:Signature which was in the Resource http://www.example.org/signature.xml
> and this ds:Signature contains this ds:Reference:
> <Reference URI="http://www.example.org/signature.xml#resourceId" />
> , this is _not_ a same-document reference, even if it points to the same
> signature file, correct?

Correct. It fails to meet the following definition:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt
4.2. Same-document References

   A URI reference that does not contain a URI is a reference to the
   current document.  In other words, an empty URI reference within a
   document is interpreted as a reference to the start of that document,
   and a reference containing only a fragment identifier is a reference
   to the identified fragment of that document.  Traversal of such a
   reference should not result in an additional retrieval action.