Quick question on XSLT transform

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 12:46:48 -0400
To: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
Cc: <JBoyer@PureEdge.com>

Presently, the transform requires octets on input and yields octets on
output. The XSLT spec processing model requires:

1. A source tree [1].
2. An XSLT instance.
3. "An XSLT processor may output the result tree as a sequence of bytes,
although it is not required" [2].

I want to make sure that it's our intent to book-end this with octets when
you might want to do node-list to node-list transforms. (Or do we simply
assume implementations might make do this as an optimization without ill
effect?)