RE: initial Exclusive Canonicalization draft

From: Gregor Karlinger <gregor.karlinger@iaik.at>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:31:40 +0200
To: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>, <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Cc: <lde008@dma.isg.mot.com>
> An initial draft of an Exclusive Canonicalization recommendation is
> now available at
> <http://www.w3.org/Signature/Drafts/xml-exc-c14n>.
>
> Comments welcome.

Thanks for your valuable work. Some comments follow below:

(1) In section 1.3, first item of the enumeration you speak
    of "... may depend on the effect of xml namespace attributes,
    such as xml:lang and xml:space ..."; I think this is intended
    to say ".. may depend on the effect of attributes in the XML
    namespace ..."

(2) At the end of section 2.2 you add THE result of EC14N regarding
    the given example.

    From my point of view also EC14N leads to different results when
    exclusive canonicalizing the element n1:elem2 in the two given
    contexts:

    Result of context 1:

      <n1:elem2 xmlns:n1="http://example.net"
         xmlns:n3="ftp://example.org" xml:lang="en">
          <n3:stuff></n3:stuff>
      </n1:elem2>

    Result of context 2:

      <n1:elem2 xmlns:n1="http://example.net" xml:lang="en">
          <n3:stuff xmlns:n3="ftp://example.org" ></n3:stuff>
      </n1:elem2>

    The difference results from the problem you mention in the third
    item of the enumeration in section 1.3.

(3) I will try to complement our implementation with an algorithm
    following your method given in section 3 next week, so that we
    can get a first feeling on interoperability.

Liebe Gruesse/Regards,
DI Gregor Karlinger
mailto:gregor.karlinger@iaik.at
http://www.iaik.at