External Attributes in Signature Elements

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:47:42 -0500
To: "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
I can't find the reference, but I remember being asked about the ability for
attributes from external namespaces to be included within the Signature
element types for extension purposes. For example:

<Signature xmlns="..." xmlns:tricky="..." tricky:not-valid="Tuesdays">

Historically, they're hasn't been much support (or a proposal even) for this
functionality. If there was, I'd have great concerns about it because of the
interpretation folks would lend to such attributes (as demonstrated in the
example above). I prefer people make syntactic extensions through the Object
element, and semantic extensions (what it means and what you are signing)
via SignatureProperties and Transforms.

__