Canonical XML & XML Schema

From: O'Leary, Don <Don.OLeary@commerceone.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:34:22 -0700
To: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
Cc: "Schwarzhoff, Kelly" <kelly.schwarzhoff@commerceone.com>, "Jain, Mudita" <Mudita.Jain@commerceone.com>, "Hsu, Chong-Jen John" <chong.hsu@commerceone.com>, "Sanfilippo, Joe" <joe.sanfilippo@commerceone.com>
Hi guys,

I had a quick question regarding Canonical XML and instances of XML Schemas.

Section 2.1 of the Canonical XML standard specifies what the canonical
output for attributes should be.
"the attribute value normalization and entity reference resolution MUST be
performed in accordance with the behaviors of a validating XML processor"

Is there any guidelines on how to handle data of a content model in the
instance of an XML Schema ?

Example, if we have the following XML Schema

 <xsd:element name="price" type="xsd:decimal"/>

and my instance looks like

  <price>12.00  </price>

should the Canonical form of this instance be

A)	<price>12.00   </price>
B)	<price>12.00</price>

Notice that the white space has been stripped out from (B), whereas it is
being retained in (A).

Regards

Don