Consensus re exclusive canonicalization

From: Donald E. Eastlake 3rd <lde008@dma.isg.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:41:28 -0400
To: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
cc: lde008@dma.isg.mot.com

Joseph and I have discussed this. There does not appear to be a clear
consensus to insert exclusive c14n into the XMLDSIG specification. In
addition, doing so would cause process delays and there appear to
still be some technical questions as to the best exact formulation for
exclusive c14n.

This was the tally result:

Hughes: option 1 if no delays, option 2 otherwise
Hallam-Baker: option 1
Tamuru: option 2 RECOMMENDED is suitable because we don't need it in all
Maslen: option 2 required preferred
Boyer: option 2 with many caveats
Geuer-Pollmann: Option 2 - RECOMMENDED.
Mark Bartel: option 2 and REQUIRED.
Brian LaMacchia: option 1
Gregor Karlinger: option 1

We have the mixed requirements of (1) making this be available ASAP,
(2) we need to do it right and (3) not hold up xmldsig-core. So the
conclusion is to advance on the xmldsig-core front separately and see
how fast we can make exclusive c14n happen in an orthogonal
document. Appropriate parts of my exclusive c14n proposed wording that
generalized and improved xmldsig-core, but not the exclusive c14n
algorithm, have been incorporated into the editor's copy at

A possible schedule for a separate c14n document appears below.
Telecons could be added to this scheduled. If we really push, we could
have it completed at end of summer.

Tentative Schedule for Exclusive C14N:
1. June 25th, next draft available, WG discuss on list.
2. July 2nd, first set of interop examples should be available.
3. July 9th, publish as Working Draft
4. July 23, publish as (3 week last call)
4. July 30, should have interop over examples.
5. August 13, last call complete (assuming no outstanding issues and enough
interop to satisfy CR, advance immediately to PR)

Comments welcome.