Empty SignedInfo elements properly canonicalized in examples?

From: Jesse Pelton <jsp@PKC.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 14:39:39 -0400
To: "'w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org'" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
I'm struggling to wrap my mind around both the XML-Signature CR and the
canonicalization REC, so please bear with me if this is a dumb question.

Background item 1: Sections 2.1 and 6.5.1 give examples of the
CanonicalizationMethod element like the following:

<CanonicalizationMethod
Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315"/>

Background item 2: Section 1.1 of the Canonical XML Version 1.0
Recommendation states, "Empty elements are converted to start-end tag
pairs," and the processing model for element nodes described in section 2.3
ensures that this is the case.

Query: Are the XML-Signature examples correct? It seems to me that they
should read:

<CanonicalizationMethod
Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315"></Canonicalizati
onMethod>

and that other empty elements (SignatureMethod, Transform, DigestMethod) in
the example in section 2.1 should likewise be represented as start-end tag
pairs. If this is not the case, what have I missed?

Jesse Pelton
PKC Corporation