See other comments below.

From:  Ed Simon <ed.simon@entrust.com>
To:  w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
Date:  Tue, 15 May 2001 18:14:46 -0400

>BTW, I'm not pushing one way or the other; those working most directly with
>complex implementations are in the best position to comment.  My suggested
>wording was only iff there was a concensus to make the change.
>
>Ed

We are not talking about it's semantic content.  We are talking about
it's encoding.  There are already numerous encoding rules.  The
KeyName can't have a less than character in it, it has to use &lt;,
etc.

>I can all too easily envision, unfortunately, scenarios for KeyName where
>automatically stripping off white space would break interoperability.
>Consider the case where the KeyName is actually a filename telling the
>recipient where to look in a local key cache for the verification key.
>Filenames on many operating systems can have spaces in them, including
>leading spaces.  Alternatively, suppose that the value of KeyName was used
>as a database lookup key, and it was space-padded to be of fixed length.

So, just say &#20; where you want a real space, just like you
currently have to say &quot; if you want a " character, etc.

>(Here's another example, although specific to Microsoft.  On Win32
>platforms, it is likely that folks would use KeyName to store CryptoAPI key
>container names.  Rules for container name validity are defined by each
>algorithm implementation (crypto service provider -- CSP).  A limitation
>like this could create all sorts of weird behaviors...)
>
>Let's leave KeyName as just a string.

Sure it's just a string, but what kind of string encoding is the
question.