RE: Call for Implementation: Canonical XML Becomes a W3C Candidate Recommendation

Hi Gregor,

The role of a parser is only to crack a file into tokens and to identify
what those tokens are.  Optionally, a parse tree can be built. A
non-validating XML parser must identify ID attributes as being ID attributes
(whenever it can), in such a parse tree (or in the input token stream if a
parse tree is not built).

An application that uses an XML parser may choose to discard that
information if the application requirements do not identify a need for the
information, but this is outside of the scope of the XML parser
specification.  The information is provided by the parser should it be
needed.

Development Team Leader,
Distributed Processing and XML
PureEdge Solutions Inc.
Creating Binding E-Commerce
v: 250-479-8334, ext. 143  f: 250-479-3772
1-888-517-2675   http://www.PureEdge.com <http://www.pureedge.com/>