AW: AW: AW: Status of Implementations

Joseph,

> At 11:48 10/5/2000 +0200, Gregor Karlinger wrote:
> >Joseph: If Merlin can validate the updated examples, could you please
> >update them in the spec?
>
> Ok, I did that. I also ran them through tidy [1] to make them pretty [2],
> but again, assuming everything worked that shouldn't break the Signature.
>
> [1] tidy --markup true --indent true --input-xml true --output-xml *.xml
> [2] http://www.w3.org/Signature/Drafts/WD-xmldsig-core-latest/#sec-Schema

I DO think that inserting whitespace text inside SignedInfo will break the
signature, since

* even a validating parser must not remove insignificant white space during
  parsing. Instead, he must inform the "application" whether white space is
  insignificant or not.

* We have not defined any rules in the XMLSignature spec (which is the
  norm for the "application") how a XMLSignature application must treat
  whitespace in the SignedInfo element and its descendants.

* And finally, canonical XML does not remove whitespace text.

Regards, Gregor
Gregor Karlinger
mailto://gregor.karlinger@iaik.at
http://www.iaik.at