Canonicalization

From: Gregor Karlinger <gregor.karlinger@iaik.at>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:46:35 +0200
To: "XML" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Hi all!

Maybe this question is kind of philosophical, but does anybody of
you know why the term "Canonicalization" is written as it is?

Recently I tried to find out, what it means to produce a canonical
form of something:

According to the Merriam-Webster Englisch Dictionary [1] the only
explanation which fits is:

  to canonize: to treat as illustrious, preeminent

This makes sense, since the canonical form of an XML-Document is
a prominent form of many representaions for the logical XML structure.

But the noun for the process of canonizing something is:

  canonization

However, I could not find "canonicalization" or "canonicalize" in any
dictionary I have access to.

---
[1] http://www.m-w.com/

Regards, (A completely confused) Gregor