Re: Determining attribute uniqueness seems to require namespace prefix in Infoset

At 10:15 AM 11/08/00 -0700, John Boyer wrote:
>Dear Editors,
>
>Please see the first example of Section 5.2 and the sentence immediately above it, which says "Note that default namespaces do not apply directly to attributes" [1].  One chairman of the XML DSig group recently commented that the word 'directly' may be intended to indicate that unqualified attributes inherit their namespace setting from the parent element.  This seems sensible to me as the href attribute should be in the same namespace as the parent element <a>.

There is no ambiguity here.  An attribute whose name contains no
prefix is not in any namespace.  As you point out, the examples in
sect 5.3 make this clear; if defaulting applied in any way at all,
directly or indirectly, those examples would not work as the spec says
they do. -Tim