Re: Omission of the XML Version in C14N

From: by way of <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 14:59:28 -0700
To: "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Cc: jcowan@reutershealth.com
[reagle: i just noticed that this hadn't made it through the spam/cross-post
filter]
__

muraw3c@attglobal.net wrote:
> Canonicalized documents do not contain XML declarations.
> Is this OK?

I believe c14n should preserve the version.

> First, XML should allow some of the newly-introducedcharacters of
> Unicode 3.0 as name characters.  If we introduce them in V1.1 of XML,
> validity (e.g., NMTOKEN) of an XML document will be dependent on the
> XML version.

Indeed, WFness may depend on it, if a new character appears in an
attribute or element name.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan
<jcowan@reutershealth.com>