Re: XSL Transform

From: Merlin Hughes <merlin@baltimore.ie>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:27:49 +0100
To: Ed Simon <ed.simon@entrust.com>
Cc: "'w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org'" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>, "'ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk'" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>

r/ed.simon@entrust.com/2000.07.25/17:29:09

Hi,

>Here are my reasons for being precise as to how XSLT transforms should be
>specified in an XML Signature.  Apologies for sounding elementary but I
>want to start from the basics.
>
>[...]
>
>Merlin, is this along the lines of the way you were thinking.

Exactly.

Also relevant to this discussion are some notes I observed
about interoperating among different XSL processors:

. You must specify that output indentation is disabled.
  Different XSL tools indent differently.

. If your output format is XML, you may want to C14N it
  afterwards. This should almost be mandatory; interop
  is otherwise almost guaranteed to fail.

. If your output format is non-XML, then it seems
  impossible to guarantee interop. There is no exact
  definition for the format of, e.g., autogenerated
  META tags; nor is an ordering imposed on attributes;
  nor can HTML, for example, be canonicalized.

This last point is possible the most problematic. If I read
the XSL spec right, different XSL processors may produce
different results from the same input.

Merlin