Re: WG Last Call on C14N (and attribute value escaping)

From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 17:27:05 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@w3.org>
cc: IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>, Anli Shundi <anli.shundi@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>, "Martin J. Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>, John Boyer <jboyer@PureEdge.com>, kent@trl.ibm.co.jp, " <Petteri.Stenius@done360.com>"@tux.w3.org
On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Joseph M. Reagle Jr. wrote:

> Namespace and Attribute Nodes- a space, the node's QName, an equals sign, an
> open double quote, the modified string value, and a close double quote. The
> string value of the node is modified by replacing all ampersands (&) with
> &amp;, /+ all open angle brackets (<) with &lt;, +/  all double quote
> characters with &quot;, and the whitespace characters #x9, #xA, and #xD,
> with character references. The character references are written in uppercase
> hexadecimal with no leading zeroes (for example, #xD is represented by the
> character reference&#xD;).

This is absolutely necessary; no <s can appear plain in attribute values,
and I think the omission is just an oversight.

> However, I'm unclear about not also including /+ all closing angle brackets
> (>) are replaced by &gt; +/ and about normalizing single-quote characters
> (') with "&apos;"...

There is no need for either of these.  The gt entity is for use in PCDATA,
so that the forbidden "]]>" sequence can be written "]]&gt;", and the
apos entity is for use in attribute values delimited with apostrophes,
which Canonical XML does not permit.  So these substitutions should not
be made; they waste space and time.

	"You need a change: try Canada"  "You need a change: try China"
		--fortune cookies opened by a couple that I know