WG Last Call on C14N (and attribute value escaping)

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 13:34:12 -0400
To: "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Cc: "Anli Shundi" <anli.shundi@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>, "Martin J. Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>, "John Boyer" <jboyer@PureEdge.com>, <kent@trl.ibm.co.jp>, " <Petteri.Stenius@done360.com>"@tux.w3.org
Notice: as stated in [1], I'd like to publish [2] as a second W3C last call
on Monday. I believe the error Anli pointed out [3] needs to remedied. I'm
hesitant to make a change without John, but he's on holiday. I think the
right text would be to include the following /+ fragment +/:
__
Namespace and Attribute Nodes- a space, the node's QName, an equals sign, an
open double quote, the modified string value, and a close double quote. The
string value of the node is modified by replacing all ampersands (&) with
&amp;, /+ all open angle brackets (<) with &lt;, +/  all double quote
characters with &quot;, and the whitespace characters #x9, #xA, and #xD,
with character references. The character references are written in uppercase
hexadecimal with no leading zeroes (for example, #xD is represented by the
character reference&#xD;).
__

However, I'm unclear about not also including /+ all closing angle brackets
(>) are replaced by &gt; +/ and about normalizing single-quote characters
(') with "&apos;"... So, if someone implementing this C14N wants to
authoritatively speak on the topic, that'd be good. Then we can try to move
forward -- particularly given this is a public WG and this is the second
Last Call, it makes sense not to draw out a WG last call and public last
call IMHO ...

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-ietf-xmldsig/2000JulSep/0015.html
[2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-ietf-xmldsig/2000JulSep/att-0001/03-W