Re: W3C XML Canonicalization -- must read

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 18:03:12 -0500
To: Ed Simon <ed.simon@entrust.com>
Cc: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
At 23:28 00/01/21 -0500, Ed Simon wrote:
 >Two areas we know we need to explore are the octet representation
 >of characters (eg. the character model)

To that end, the snippets of the relative reports are below:

Relative to the rest of XML C14N, I believe Unicode C14N is relatively
complex and resource intensive.  It will make a significant difference
to either code size or speed (you can probably implement slowly in a
little code, or fast in a lot of code).  In the context of its use for
digital signatures, XML C14N needs to be performed in scenarios where
processing resources are strictly limited.

The overhead of normalization is not large in code space or data space or
time.  I have provided a non-normative explanation of the algorithm at ...
In general, a table space of about 8K bytes is involved, and the process
is O(N) except on pathological data.

XML-Signature Co-Chair   http://www.w3.org/People/Reagle/