Re: Signature definitions

From: Gregor Karlinger <Gregor.Karlinger@iaik.at>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:03:09 +0100
To: John Boyer <jboyer@uwi.com>
CC: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@w3.org>, DSig Group <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
John Boyer wrote:
> It should also be noted that, according to the current spec [1], a signature
> can be enveloping, enveloped and detached all at the same time.

The problem as I can see it is that we distinguish between signature types
(enveloping, enveloped, detached), but a signature can be of more than one
type at the same time.

As an alternative approach, consider to label the types which a data entity
to be signed could have, in relation to its signature:

o A data entity can be EXTERNAL or INTERNAL in relation to the document
  holding the signature element

o An INTERNAL data entity can be INSIDE or OUTSIDE in relation to the the
  signature element

The advantage of this kind of labelling is that the attribute combinations

are "exclusive-or", in contrast to (enveloping, enveloped, detached).

Gregor Karlinger