Re: XPTr bare names and XPATH id()

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 12:43:27 -0500
To: John Boyer <jboyer@PureEdge.com>
CC: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@w3.org>, Daniel Veillard <veillard@w3.org>, w3t-tech@w3.org, w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
John Boyer wrote:

[... lots of stuff that I agree with deleted ...]

> Furthermore, as I pointed out to the dsig group yesterday, and with which
> you indicate agreement below, we are free to define the XPointer URI="#E" as
> indicating E plus all nodes that have E as an ancestor.  In other words,
> subtree(id("E")).

Not so. The XPointer spec says what #E means for XML, and it
says that it means the same thing that #xpointer(id("E")) means.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xptr-20000607#bare-names

You can't change the relationship between #E and
#xpointer(id("E")) without changing the XPointer spec.