RE: XPTr bare names and XPATH id()

From: John Boyer <jboyer@PureEdge.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 11:11:18 -0700
To: <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@w3.org>, "Daniel Veillard" <veillard@w3.org>, <w3t-tech@w3.org>, <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Oops, yes I used incorrect terminology.  This replacement should be
satisfactory:

Furthermore, as I pointed out to the dsig group yesterday, and with which
you indicate agreement below, we are free to process an Xpath node-set or
XPointer location-set in any manner necessary.  Therefore, the XPointer
URI="#E" can
be processed by XPath serialization (or by the new c14n) by processing
E plus all nodes that have E as an ancestor.  In other words,
subtree(id("E")).
=================================

For the sake of ensuring that there is a resolution whether or not a
subtree() function exists, let me reiterate that, without the subtree()
function, we can still define the processing of the XPointer URI="#E" in
terms of Xpath serialization (or by the new c14n) by using the following
expression:

(//. | //@ | //namespace::*)[count(ancestor-or-self::* | id("E")) =
count(ancestor-or-self::*)]

(The Xpath transform processes nodes on the node-set and omits nodes not in
the node-set).

John Boyer
Software Development Manager
PureEdge Solutions Inc. (formerly UWI.Com)
Creating Binding E-Commerce
jboyer@PureEdge.com