RE: Minutes 99-October-28

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 20:18:54 -0400
To: "John Boyer" <jboyer@uwi.com>
Cc: "Jim Schaad (Exchange)" <jimsch@EXCHANGE.MICROSOFT.com>, "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
At 14:19 99/10/28 -0700, John Boyer wrote:
 >What do you mean "There it was still:"
 >
 >As I recall, it was an element (which I liked), it got changed to an
 >attribute (which I didn't like), I recommended that it stay an element and
 >put the URL as an HREF for the Location element, I heard nothing, and it is
 >still an attribute according to the Oct 22 draft on our website.
 >
 >Are you looking at a newer draft and if so, can I have one?

Woops, yes you are correct, it actually appears as
    <ObjectReference Location="http://www.ietf.org">
in [1].

The reasons for the change still hold from my earlier email (trying to be
syntactically consistent), it just got reflected in the draft earlier.
However, one could ask shouldn't DigestMethod also be an attribute, and I
can't find a compelling reason why it shouldn't be... Unfortunately, I'm a
little lost as to where we are on some of these threads, but I (personally)
think of the semantics as follows. (I always ask myself what assertions are
being made.)

The (object) pointed to by ObjectReference has a location of
http://www.ietf.org
The (object) pointed to by ObjectReference has a DigestValue (object)
        DigestValue (object) has an algorithm of urn:nist-gov:sha1
        DigestValue (object) has an encoding of Base64
        DigestValue (object) has a literal value of a23bcd43

(See [2] for my take on what our current data model is.)

This could directly translate to the following syntax -- among others,
depending on your conventions.

    <ObjectReference Location="http://www.ietf.org">
      <DigestValue Algorithm="urn:nist-gov:sha1"
                Encoding="urn:ietf-org:base64">a23bcd43</DigestValue>
    </ObjectReference>

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-xmldsig-core-19991022.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/Signature/Drafts/xmldsig-datamodel-19991025.gif

XML-Signature Co-Chair   http://w3.org/People/Reagle/