Namespace, URIs, and other institutionalized names

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 17:37:26 -0400
To: "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
I had a meeting with TimBL and others yesterday to get clarity on a couple
of W3C policies and requirements over specifications, one of which was
namespace policy. This tends to be a rather heated/religious issue, but at
least I have something that I and others reference -- or even take issue
with. <smile> You'll note one of the characteristics of this policy in the
W3C context is the W3C's commitment to maintaining our URIs, which I think
is a good thing.

Regardless, the namespace policy requires
"http://www.w3.org/1999/$something" and I expect I can get approval for a
namespace shorter than the one I originally proposed along the lines of

        http://www.w3.org/1999/10/sig

or even

        http://www.w3.org/1999/sig

if we don't expect to issue different versions that need to co-exist and
have normative changes in their meaning within the space of a year. One
could even mix a version number in there, but I'm hesitant to propose that.

This discussion also has some ramifications on the URNs that we are
presently using, which I will address in the next message.

Forwarded Text ----