RE: minor naming point (why full names are important for archivin g)

At 20:07 99/09/16 -0400, Ed Simon wrote:
 >Element and attribute names should be lowercase, complete
 >English words, where each word is separated by a hyphen.
 >(I think this is the preferred W3C way.)

Show me where. (In general, I'd like people to reference the things they
talk about as much as possible.) What I see is:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/global.html
 single words
 CAPS for element names
 lowercase for attribute names

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-smil/
 single words, hyphenated in a few instances
 lowercase all

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-MathML/chap3_1.html
 single words/acronyms
 lowercase for all

 >So for example,
 ><sigblock> should really be <signature-block>.

I tend to like short names, but your comment for spelling things out is not
the first. I've cc'd chairs because at a MIT meeting this week we joked that
we would save _many_ hours of discussion time across all the W3C WGs that
flip-flop on issues like this. A few people have been pushing for optional
though standardized style and editorial conventions across all W3C
specifications, as shown in [1]. I'd add this topic to the list, but
progress has been slow. I'd love to see some usability research on this
stuff actually.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Guide/Reports.html#style

____