minor naming point

From: Mark Bartel <mbartel@thistle.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:25:58 -0400
To: "'IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG '" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Here's part of a coworker's response to my ftf trip report:

> I'm sure this is a picky point, but it took me a long time to figure out
> that "c14n" was "canonicalization".  Ok, convenient short-hand for
> informal communication.  But, it's actually in a tag in the spec,
> <c14nalg>.  Yikes!  Yet, we have <transformations> instead of <t12ns>,
> and the fairly ubiquitous term "signature" which could be replaced
> with "s7e".  The people who thought this up could probably also save a
> lot of space/typing my storing only two digits for year values.

While I don't feel that strongly on the issue, XML is supposed to be
readable.  I don't think the twelve bytes saved per signature are
significant enough to warrant the abbreviation.  But then, my favorite
applications aren't particularly sensitive to size.

-Mark Bartel, JetForm