Re: Comments on Action:draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-03

Jan Algermissen wrote:
> Forgot to insert:
>
> What about:
>

>>> When a resource is put under version control, it becomes a "versioned
>>> resource". Many servers protect versioned resources from
>>> modifications by considering them "checked in", and by requiring a
>>> "checkout" operation before modification, and a "checkin" operation
>>> to go back to the "checked-in" state. Other servers allow
>>> modification and perfrom versioning without requiring an explicit
>>> checkout operation.
>>

>> I feel there should be the notion of 'modification of checked-out
>> working copy' in there but I don't mean to say that your above wording
>> isn't suitable also.
>>
>> Jan

Hi Jan,

if I understand you correctly you say that the proposed text explaining
checkin/checkout should mention that it applies to modifying the working
copy. I believe that's correct, but would require a forward reference to
the term "working copy" that I'd like to avoid. (If you meant to say
something else, please clarify).

With respect to replacing

"Other servers allow modification, in which case the checkout/checkin
operation may happen implicitly."

by

"Other servers allow modification and perform versioning without
requiring an explicit checkout operation."

...: this really seems to be equivalent; any particular reason why you
feel your text is clearer?

Best regards, Julian