Re: XMLHttpRequest in IE7 with REPORT method

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 19:15:17 +0200
To: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
CC: WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> Hi,
> Has anyone tried using XMLHttpRequest in IE7 to do WebDAV operations?
> Specifically we are finding that the REPORT method seems to fail on the
> .open() call (same thing for CalDAV's MKCALENDAR). PROPFIND works fine.
> Any ideas on whether REPORT can be made to work?

Only by falling back to the ActiveX variant of XmlHttpRequest.

This issue has been reported to Microsoft something long ago (see thread
around
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JanMar/0352.html>),
but first they claimed it was "by design", and then it was too late to
change, even for IE8.

BTW: don't try to do this with Opera, it will silently change the method
name to GET.

> We have also tried using the Msxml2.XMLHTTP ActiveX object. Whilst that
> seems to accept REPORT as a valid method, it fails with digest
> authentication (basic works). What we see is that it makes an
> unauthenticated requests and gets back a 401 with the digest challenge,
> but then it makes another unauthenticated request and fails (instead of
> sending the digest response). Basic authentication works as does digest
> with PROPFIND. Any ideas what might be up?
>
> Is there any other way in IE7 to make WebDAV REPORT requests that will
> work?

I've used the ActiveX object a lot in the past, but probably not with
Digest.

BR, Julian