Re: Relationship between BIND and RFC 3253

From: Werner Donné <werner.donne@re.be>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:23:18 +0200
To: Geoffrey M Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@us.ibm.com>
Cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

> But wrt point 2, RFC3243 does provide a way to reinstate a version
> history, by specifying a Version in the body of a VERSION-CONTROL
> request.  Also note that a BIND request would not provide a way to
> reinstate a version history, because reinstating a version history
> is done by creating a new version-controlled resource whose VERSION-
> HISTORY property identifies that version history (and this cannot be
> done via a BIND operation).

In RFC 3253 I find in section 14.8 that you can indeed reinstate the
version
history of a collection in this way, but I can't find anything like
that for
resources that are not collections.

I see no evidence for the statement that a new version-controlled
resource
should be created for reinstating a version history. This seems to be
what
happens when the VERSION-CONTROL method is used, but that is not the
same
thing.

The usage of BIND I propose is semantically equivalent to an addition to
the version-controlled-binding-set property of the parent collection
of the
request URI.

Werner.
--