Re: getting WebDAV SEARCH ready for the IESG

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 19:44:18 +0200
To: John Barone <jbarone@xythos.com>
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

John Barone wrote:
> Another comment on this; there doesn't seem to be any discussion about
> issuing a SEARCH and limiting on multi-valued properties, in the WHERE.
> Is this beyond the scope of this particular draft, or is this treated in
> some other specification/draft?
>
> Regards,
>
> -John

Short answer: out of scope.

Long answer: this requires a common understanding of what multivalued
properties are, and how they are serialized.

A proposal was contained in a draft of what later was published as RFC
4316, see
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-property-datatypes-06.html#rfc.section.A>.
Back when we discussed this, there was a preference of keeping things
simple, and so it was removed from subsequent drafts.

That being said, I know that the proposal was implemented both by SAP
and Xythos (although likely in different namespaces). I would be happy
to resurrect that part of the spec as a separate activity, but today I
wouldn't be able to update the SAP implementation anymore.

BR, Julian