Re: correct response code to BIND / REBIND when source is not found?

Tim Olsen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In the case of a BIND or REBIND, what is the correct response code
> when the resource specified in the href element is not found?
> (preconditions DAV:bind-source-exists and DAV:rebind-source-exists.)
> I figure since it's not the Request-URI, the response should not be
> 404.  I see two options: a 207 Multistatus with an inner status of 404

Right.

> on the href, or a 409 Conflict.  Any idea which, or if it's a totally
> different response code?

First of all, I'd say it's not multistatus.

Then, I think the RFC3253 language on pre/post condition handling
favorizes 409 (conflict) over 403 (forbidden), as after changing the
state of some resources, the request could succeed.

Thus:

HTTP/1.1 409 Conflict

<error xmlns="DAV:">
   <bind-source-exists/>