Recognizing a WebDAV enabled client

From: Michael Wechner <michael.wechner@wyona.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:37:21 +0200
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Hi

It's not clear to me how a server can recognize a WebDAV enabled client
from a GET request and
also how the client can communicate the version of WebDAV which the
client has implemented.

I have seen in the spec that one can set  the HTTP header parameter DAV:
1,.... but it seems to
be that nobody is really doing this, but rather people are using
reserved ports or URI prefixes as workarounds for
WebDAV GET requests, but which seems to me leads to a lot of code
duplication and other issues
(for instance having to open a specific port within a firewall, etc.).

Any pointer re this problem is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Michi

--
Michael Wechner