Re: Issue with Greg's davlib.py module

From: Elias Sinderson <elias@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:57:00 -0700
To: ageslin@groupe-atlantic.com
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

ageslin@groupe-atlantic.com wrote:

> I hope I'm posting to the right mailing-list, I have an issue with
> Greg's davlib.py module (python).

Well, technically speaking, this probably isn't the right list, however
there is a great deal of WebDAV expertise to be found here.  :-)

> [...] I can successfully run some propfind, mkcol, put and delete
> command on my Apache server, but can only run 1 command per session or
> I get an fp.readline "Connection Reset by peer" issue in getresponse.

It sounds as if the 'Connection: Keep-Alive' header isn't being set . . .

> Therefore I have to add sesssion.close() and session.connect between
> each command I want to send to my server. This is annoying as
> performance goes down. [...]

Yes, this is the very reason Keep-Alive (and pipelining) was introduced
- so that one wouldn't need to tear down connections between requests to
the same server. There are several decent web pages that explain the
details of the Keep-Alive header and pipelining of requests [1, 2], but
I'd recommend starting with the HTTP specification [3] itself and then
referring to other sites if you need more information.

FYI, I looked briefly at the davlib.py and saw no mention of the header.
. . Also, one should note that, as useful as it is, davlib.py is not
really distributed as an industrial strength DAV library.

Cheers,
Elias

[1] <http://www.io.com/~maus/HttpKeepAlive.html>
[2] <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/netlib/http/pipelining-faq.html>