Locking feature interop, was: Support for non-DAV collections

Lisa Dusseault wrote:
>>> Another option that isn't broadly implemented, if at all, is the
>>> support  for locks that aren't write locks or aren't exclusive locks
>>> (since only  exclusive write locks are fully defined).  Are there
>>> any  implementations  at all that do locks that aren't write locks?
>>> Didn't  Adobe or somebody  implement shared locks?
>>

>> Me confused.
>>
>> The only type of locks defined in RFC2518 are write locks. Write
>> locks  can be shared or exclusive, and there are both servers
>> implementing this  and clients using it. Looking at
>> <http://www.webdav.org/wg/rfcdev/issues.htm>, issue #96, the WG has
>> discussed this over three years ago and concluced that they are
>> indeed  implemented.
>>
> I also figured that shared locks were implemented already although I'm
> not  sure they satisfy the 2x2 test requirement.  But what about

I fear I need to make a procedural comment again. The question of shared
lock interop *is* on the issues list, it *has* been dicussed three years
ago, and it has been marked as resolved. Do you want to re-open that
discussion?

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/e2k3/e2k3/_webdav_locktype_element.asp>

> The way this impacts the document is that sections 6 and 7 could be
> merged  if there are effectively only write locks.  Section 6 discusses
> locks,  section 7 discusses specifically write locks.

RFC2518 has splitted the locking feature into some generic elements, and
specific write-lock support for a very good reason. I don't see any
compelling reason at all to change that.

Best regards, Julian