Re: Question on WebDAV usage from Web

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 10:10:58 +0100
To: Parvathi K <parvathik@newgen.co.in>
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

Parvathi K wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I want to access some documents in a WebDAV folder using my web application.
>
> The word document or xls document to be accessed is in a WebDAV folder.
> I want to provide option for the user to open, edit and save the
> documents in the webdav folder through my web application. The document
> names are displayed in a web page and when user clicks on the document
> name, the document is opened from the webdav folder in a new browser
> window - the document is opened using word plugin of IE. Now after user
> makes some changes when user clicks on 'Save' button word tries to save
> the document in its temporary folder rather in the Web DAV folder. I do
> not want the user to use the 'Save As' option of word to save the
> document in web dav folder. Kindly let me know what extra handling i
> should make so that the MS Word active x component shall open the
> document as if it is opening it from Web Dav Folder.
>
> When the document is opened from IE using 'Open as Web Fodler' option,
> word allows to save the changes in web folder with simply 'Save' option.
> I want to simulate the same method when user opens the document using my
> web application.
>
> Please let me know how is this possible.
> Best Regards,

Whether or not Office opens a document read-only (as above) or
read-write depends on the particular Office version and possibly some
local settings on the client. As far as I can tell, there's nothing a
server can do to enforce a particular behaviour of the client.

That being said; if it's ok to send HTML + JScript, an HTML page sent by
the server may be able to directly instantiate Word and let it open
directly the document. Never have done this myself, though.

Hope this helps,

Julian