Re: [Ietf-caldav] [Fwd: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00]

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:58:36 +0100
To: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
CC: 'Webdav WG' <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>, Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org>

Stefan Eissing wrote:
> I think it is also not clear if its a hop-to-hop or end-to-end header.
> So chances of getting it working in an uncontrolled environment are not
> good.

 From <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#header.expect>:

"The Expect mechanism is hop-by-hop: that is, an HTTP/1.1 proxy MUST
return a 417 (Expectation Failed) status if it receives a request with
an expectation that it cannot meet. However, the Expect request-header
itself is end-to-end; it MUST be forwarded if the request is forwarded."

This seems to indicate that expectations not defined in RFC2616 (and the
only one deployed there is "100-continue") will be next to impossible to
deploy. Usage of "100-continue" shouldn't be problematic, though (expect
that servers may not implement the amount of request header checking one
may wish).

Julian