Re: ETags?

A client cannot take such short-cuts unless the etag specification
states they can take those short cuts.  There is nothing in the etag
specification that allows them to make that assumption, and therefore
as Greg has pointed out, it is just an implementation error if they
base their implementation on something other than the specification.

Perhaps we should also state that the last segment of the etag does
not have to match the current modification date, to make sure they do
not optimize their implementation by making that assumption?  (:-)