Re: Discovering bindings in BIND

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:44:12 +0100
To: Joe Hildebrand <JHildebrand@jabber.com>
CC: webdav <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> Assume I'm writing an authoring client, and want to show UI to the user with
> an enumeration of all of the bindings to a particular resource.  Section 2.9

In general, you can't display *all* bindings to a resource. There may be
an infinite number (if a parent collection has a bind loop).

> of BIND says I get the DAV:parent-set property.  However, section 3.2 says
> (and the example in 3.2.1 confirms) that not all of the binding paths can be
> returned in that property.

It returns all bindings (each with a URI to the collection it's in). If
you need to compute all *paths*, you'll need to redo that step
recursively for these collections.

> Is the idea that the client would walk up the tree looking for other paths
> to this resource?

Yes, if it needs to. It just has to keep in mind that doing it without
special loop checks may result in an infinite loop.

Best regards, Julian