Re: WGLC draft-ietf-webdav-redirectref-protocol-12

I think that hiding redirects from authoring clients may be a perfectly
good and reasonably interoperable thing to do.  It depends on two
things: the model and the need.

The model that REDIRECT has is very pure -- that a URL that produces a
redirect is a resource.  That's not the only model, however.  An
implementor (client or server) could have a model where a URL that
produces a redirect does *not* point to a resource, just like a URL that
produces a 404 does not have an associated resource.  That model is
already reflected in software like mod_rewrite, a module which is quite
incompatible with REDIRECT.  The "redirect is not a resource" model
could still support authorability, for example by adding properties to
collections, and the properties could contain redirect rules.

The "need" is the practical concern which we've already discussed, but
I'd add that if we have a way to author redirects that is incompatible
with mod_rewrite and the way administrators actually need to create
redirect rules, then we may not have even solved the theoretical need.

The fact that SAP (aka Julian's org) implements them as resources is in
fact very suggestive.  If that's the model you thought of, perhaps it's
a better model for interoperability, a more WebDAV-suited model.  So now
we're back to wanting other implementations to validate that model.

Lisa